31 December 2022

top 50 of 2022 | 10-1

10. Computerbandit - "Lose Control"

Computerbandit is probably my favorite currently-active synthwave band. I just love their icy production and the way that his vocalists match his energy.



9. New Constellations - "Hot Blooded"

New Constellations taps into the softer, synthpoppier side of synthwave, and they're very, very good at it. The singer's voice is like clouds!



8. MUNA - "Anything But Me"

MUNA released one of the best songs of the previous decade, so it was great to hear them release something awesome as the lead single off their follow-up this year.



7. Baby Queen - "Want Me"

This song actually came out two years ago, but broke through in 2022 thanks to its inclusion in my favorite TV series of the year: Netflix's Heartstopper.



6. Winnetka Bowling League & The Knocks - "I Like To Hide In The Bathroom At Parties"

Jona Lewie may have preferred the kitchen, but Winnetka Bowling League are opting for an even more reclusive hiding spot. Fantastically relatable lyrics in a toe-tapping little pop song.



5. The Impliers - "Stigma"

I don't know if it's entirely appropriate to call this Goth Rock, but I'm choosing to do so because it feels correct. This is just such a cool song, and it'll be on my Halloween playlists from now on!



4. Rina Sawayama - "This Hell"

Rina's been around for a couple of years, but this year was undoubtedly her breakthrough. Her sophomore album is a front-to-back delight. Every queer person on Earth will relate to these lyrics.



3. Bret McKenzie - "If You Wanna Go"

I had heard of but have never watched Flight of the Conchords, so I had no context on this fella's career when I first heard this, but I was immediately in love. Go figure, the album it's from is called Songs Without Jokes. It's just a perfect little pop song!



2. Myylo - "Being Born Kinda Sucks"

When this came out back in February, I preemptively declared it my song of the year, and I was almost correct! It's certainly another one that queer people and millennials will find especially relatable, but from a production perspective it's one of those pop rock songs à la the late '90s that you just wanna yell along to.



1. Ava Max - "Maybe You're The Problem"

I am begging -- BEGGING -- my fellow queers to start respecting this woman. She's put out nothing but floorfillers and bangers and you guys act like she doesn't exist! The album is coming in a month or two, and I better see it sail up the charts like it deserves to!

0 comments: