30 December 2022

top 50 of 2022 | 20-11

20. Bananarama - "Favourite"

Hell yeah, a brand new Bananarama banger in 2022!! That bassline is absolutely filthy.



19. Khalid - "Satellite"

Most people probably know Khalid from his collab with Logic a few years ago. I had no idea he had such a nice voice and a knack for spry soft pop!



18. John Cote - "It Comes Today"

This most be the most true-to-form new wave synthpop song made since its glory era in the early 1980s. An absolute banger!



17. Whitmer Thomas - "Rigamarole"

A great little pop song about burnout and the feelings of mania, FOMO, exhaustion, and hopelessness that accompany it. This guy is apparently a comedian, but you'd certainly never know that listening to this. I love it!



16. Night Rider ft. Affiance - "Running Up That Hill"

It's very rare for me to include a cover on my year-end lists, and funny enough this is the second time a cover of this song has made it (after Meg Myers' wonderful version a couple years ago). I never realized how badly this was begging to be made into a synthwave song, and man, these guys just nailed it, even incorporating some mid-2000s hard rock stuff that should not work, but absolutely does.



15. Now Ex - "Impossible To Love"

As soon as that opening synth line hit I knew I was going to love this. The vocals are perfection for this style of music!



14. Empress Of - "Dance For You"

Definitely my favorite dance track of the year! This got a lot of reps on my runs. Solid production, excellent clean vocals.



13. Purple Disco Machine and Sophie & The Giants - "In The Dark"

Magnificent vocals over production so slick you could slide across it! Let's face it, put a clap sample in your dancepop song and I'll probably love it.



12. The Aces - "Girls Make Me Wanna Die"

I think this is the closest thing to a pure rock song on this year's list. It's still poppy as hell, and I am here for every bit of it.



11. Tove Lo - "2 Die 4"

It's honestly nothing short of amazing that Gershon Kingsley's "Popcorn" is still being sampled in pop music in 2022, but that shows you what an absolute musical genius he was. This is Tove Lo's first time making my list, but since we now all know how to pronounce her name, it felt like it was time!

0 comments: